Chef Ian’s Hearty Vegetable Soup
Inspired by the classic brothy soup made in The Restaurant, this hearty vegetarian soup by chef Ian is for pure comfort and warmth!
• 225g button mushrooms finely sliced
• 60g pearl barley
• 1 large onion, peeled & sliced
• 725ml chicken or beef stock
• 150ml Stout
• 150ml whipping cream
• pinch of grated nutmeg and cayenne pepper, seasoning
1. In a large pan, sweat the onion in vegetable oil until softened, add the mushrooms, cooking until lightly coloured.
2. Add nutmeg, cayenne pepper and barley, stirring for a minute before adding the stout.
3. Reduce by half then add the stock and simmer for 45 minutes until barley is tender. Finally stir in the whipping cream and season to taste.