People & Culture
If you think our values match who you are and the kind of place you are looking to work, then get in touch.Current Vacancies
JOINING TEAM TONG
We are an exciting Destination Centre located on the Leeds/Bradford border with easy access from the motorways and with on-site parking. We offer a fast moving, dynamic and welcoming team environment. We are continuing to grow and develop so this role has career opportunities for the right person. The team has grown from 45 to 200 people and we have built a strong reputation as a part of the local community.
WHAT’S IT LIKE TO WORK HERE?
If we were to tell you that our aim is to be one of the best employers across the UK, then hopefully that goes some way to demonstrate our commitment to our People and Culture, which is why we have a dedicated People and Culture team at Tong Garden Centre.
Their purpose is to attract, recruit, engage and develop the best people into our business.
Our 2020 award win for ‘Outstanding Employer’ at the Yorkshire Post Business Excellence Awards goes some way to demonstrate what we are aiming to achieve, here at Tong. Neil and Becki are aiming to ensure we have a GREAT culture as we continue to grow.
- We are proud to work here and always give a warm, friendly ‘’Yorkshire’’ welcome to everyone
- We have a ‘can do’ attitude and find solutions to any problem
- We work in a professional way with energy, enthusiasm, and commitment
- We love to ‘get stuck in’ and react positively towards change
- We take responsibility for our work and ownership of our actions – making sure we deliver on our promises
- We own our mistakes and learn from them
- We take pride in our work, producing the best of our ability
- We pass on knowledge to help others make the right decision or to do the right thing
- We are respectful, courteous and considerate towards everyone and everything
- We take pride in delivering the needs of others
- We respect and care for the environment we work in
- We are open minded and non judgemental
- We give honest advice and feedback in a sincere and genuine way
- We are consistent and reliable in our approach
- We make time for others when they need us the most
- We are inquisitive and ask questions to give the right advice
- We use our knowledge and experience to educate each other
- There is no ‘faffin’ here, just giving 100% of our effort, every day
- We strive to learn and grow – just like our pots and plants
- We lead by example at all times
- We settle for ‘Great’
- Our approach is ‘Your team is my team, and my team is your team’
- We help and support each other to provide a great experience for everyone
- We communicate clearly and effectively with each other so things run smoothly
- We are resourceful and versatile in our approach
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF WORKING AT TONG?
Here are a few of the great benefits of working for us:
- A great, fun, friendly working environment
- Growing staff facilities, with new office and staff room in 2021
- Up to 33%* staff discount in store (*Discount varies across the store, including concessions)
- Family and friend open days
- Free car parking
- Colleague recognition schemes
- Pension contributions
- Bonus* (*depending on the level of your role)
- A strong set of Values and great behaviours
- Opportunity to work remotely* (*where your role allows it)
- Opportunity for company sponsored development
- Various staff events
These are just the start, we are constantly reviewing our employee offering as we aim to become one of the best employers in the UK.
Our retail team is made up of Tills and Customer Services, Food Hall (including our very own Butchers, Bakers and Deli), Giftware, Garden Sundries, Leisure and our outdoor Plants and Warehouse teams. We also have our famous Christmas and Grotto during the winter months, so if you love Christmas, you’ll love us even more!
We also have a number of head office functions to help us perform at our best, those being Accounts, Marketing, People and Culture and Commercial.
The video below shows you what it’s like to work in one of our restaurant teams 🙂
No current vacancies